Most Active Stories
- Naked Art: Photographer Works In The Nude To Explore Emotion
- Preservationists Sue BLM Over Alleged Wild Horse Mismanagement
- The Brink Of Eruption: Icelandic Volcano Could Halt Air Travel, Cause Floods…Or Not
- High-Intensity Underwater Workouts Improve Arthritis, Study Finds
- Rock Art In Horseshoe Canyon Is Younger Than Archaeologists Previously Thought
Thu August 1, 2013
The story of love and coma: "Don't leave me"
Carl and Shari Berger have been married almost 55 years, and it's been a good run.
What Carl calls "one of the most exciting and most stressful and most interesting years, was that one year in 1997."
While returning from a trip to New Orleans, Carl started pacing in the airport. What started as a need to walk soon turned into something very different.
In Detroit, the doctors gave Carl pain meds and he went home and to bed. The next morning, Carl said he "woke up, stood up, and turned to you and said, 'I don't think I'm going to make it.'"
Two months later, Carl woke up in the hospital.