For Air Quality Awareness Week, Jennifer Pemberton has been asking local experts to help explain Cache Valley’s air pollution problem to residents. In today’s report, she tours a lab on the campus of Utah State University, where the effects of particulate pollution on human health are easy to see -- with the right equipment.
This week is Air Quality Awareness Week. Today Jennifer Pemberton takes us on a summarized visit to the Cache Valley Air Quality Summit in Logan to hear air pollution epidemiologist, Dr. C. Arden Pope tell the story of how we’ve cleaned up the air in the U.S. in the past 50 years and how much further we still have to go.
Cedar City K-9 officer Pajko received his injuries during a physical confrontation with suicidal and uncooperative suspect. The animal was taken to a specialist in Las Vegas. It was determined that Pajko suffered from a herniated disk in his neck.
These are some of the voices from our Bad Air Story booth at Logan’s Earth Day Downtown Street Festival. With a background of various local musicians and speakers, we set up a table and microphone to ask Cache Valley residents to tell us their Bad Air stories. Have you ever had a bad air day? How do you know when it’s a bad air day? What do you do about it?
A bomb scare forced educators to evacuate and lock down an elementary school in Ogden on Tuesday. Ogden Police Lt. Danielle Croyle says there was no explosion or injuries of any kind after more than 500 students were evacuated from Shadow Valley Elementary at 4911 S. 1500 East at around noon Tuesday.
Utah Public Radio has partnered with the Public Insight Network to report on public health effects of air pollution in Cache Valley. Listeners and other members of the community here have been telling us their experiences with air pollution through an online form. Jennifer Pemberton has been listening to these stories and has this update on public concerns:
Several blocks were closed off around a chemical company in Provo while firefighters and a Hazmat crew responded to a chemical spill.
Neighbors spotted smoke coming through the roof at Wiltec on West Street about 4 p.m. on Wednesday.
Provo Fire Battalion Chief Tom Augustus told the Provo Daily Herald that the company that studies chemical reactions was testing sulfur trioxide when a research tube failed. He said the failure caused an unexpected chemical reaction that involved a significant amount of smoke.