Utah Public Radio is seeking a Business Officer to process all of the financial activities for Utah Public Radio. This position will serve as the Business Manager for the station, responsible for all financial and HR operations. This position reports directly to UPR's general manager and will interact with UPR staff, CHaSS staff, and Utah State University Controller and Development Offices.
- Serves as custodian of all funds. Exercises responsibility and accountability for all money received and disbursed. Maintains accurate records for all revenues received and the source of those revenues. Ensures the proper expenditure and disbursement of funds in accordance with GASB's accounting principles.
- Prepares financial reports for the station in accordance with USU policy and FCC guidelines.
- Uses uniform budgeting, accounting, and auditing procedures approved by GASB. Prepares annual operating budget for the station. Performs monthly reconciliation of accounts. Prepares monthly status reports of budget performance in relation to station goals.
- Analyzes budget and performs cost accounting by function and/or project.
- Prepares financial records for independent annual audit and CPB grant submission.
- Responsible to CHaSS and Business Services for matters dealing with compliance to USU policy as they pertain to HR and Finance.
- Works with auditor to assure compliance with annual audit procedures.
- Oversees HR and payroll functions within the department.
- Ensures accurate financial administration of grants.
- Ensures that adequate internal controls are employed to safeguard the station's funds.
- Conducts periodic training sessions to help staff understand fiscal policies and procedures.
- Supervises the purchase of all supplies, materials, and equipment in accordance with federal, state, and USU purchasing guidelines.
- Acts as PCard manager; oversees procurement of supplies, materials, and services in accordance with USU policy.
- Ensures that a current inventory of the station's property and assets is maintained.
- Must successfully pass background check required by state law.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or business related field OR Associate Degree or certificate in accounting plus 4 or more year's related work experience.
- 2 years full-time experience in accounting/bookkeeping with demonstrated skills: closing books, reconciling accounts and balances, drafting financial statements, preparation of audits and reports, and use of spreadsheet and word processing programs. Excel and Word are required.
- Demonstrate strong communications, team building, problem-solving skills and proven ability to work independently and in collaboration with others.
- Proficiency in the use of electronic work environments.
- Ability to take initiative and maintain confidentiality.
- Excellent organizational skills, integrity, honesty, strong work ethic.
- Ability to clearly communicate financial information accurately.
- Expertise with USU Banner System and operations.
- Experience in the public broadcasting industry.
- Knowledge of public radio programming.