USDA sends money for disaster repair

Jan 21, 2012

From Cache County in the north to Washington County in southern Utah, $44 million in federal money is headed to the beehive state to help with watershed protection.

The grant money comes from the USDA’s natural resource conservation service.  Much of the work is to repair damage to roads, water systems and other infrastructure caused by flooding over the past two years.

The emergency watershed protection program was set up by congress to respond to emergencies created by natural disasters.

Here in southern Utah, Washington County receives over $6.5 million to repair of damage after severe storms in December of 2010.

Kane County receives $600,000.

The federal money will cover 75 percent of repair costs; local governments must cover the remaining 25 percent.