Tuesday we will be running a program from October 2012 where we asked several prominent Utah politicians and commentators to check partisan fights at the door and share the one or two core political beliefs that motivate them. Is there an author or thinker who has had an influence on them? What is their foundational political philosophy?
We also asked each guest to reach across the aisle and tell us at least one foundational belief on the other side that they can understand as powerful and valid, though they may not subscribe to it themselves.
We would like you to also participate in this discussion. What motivates your political beliefs, and what can you see as a valid point of view from the other side of the aisle? You can do so by commenting on our Facebook Page, or on Twitter with #AccessUtah. You can also leave your comment below.
Our guests included:
- Paul Mero, President of the Sutherland Institute
- Lavarr Webb, Deseret News columnist, Publisher of Utah Policy.com, and Founder of the Exoro Group
- Stephen Urquhart, State Senator
- Herm Olsen, Logan City Councilman and partner in the law firm Hillyard, Anderson and Olsen
- Lyle Hillyard, State Senator and partner in the law firm Hillyard, Anderson and Olsen
- Frank Pignanelli, Deseret News columnist, former state legislator and partner in the law firm Foxley and Pignanelli
- Steve Erickson, Director of the Citizens Education Project
- Howard Stephenson, State Senator and President of the Utah Taxpayers Association