High School Baseball Player Saves St. George Motel From Fire

Mar 19, 2013

A dangerous situation at a St. George motel was averted Thursday night thanks to the heads up play on the part of a high school baseball player from Spanish Fork.

Jade Nielson and his team mates from the Spanish Fork High baseball team are staying in the Quality Inn on South Bluff Street in St. George for a weekend baseball tournament. 

Jade was returning to his parent’s room to his own when he smelled smoke in an unoccupied room belonging to team mates.

Rob Nielson is Jade’s father.

The fire started in a bathroom ventilation fan.  The Spanish Fork catcher and motel employees had the fire mostly put out with a fire extinguisher by the time St. George fire crews arrived.