Connect with UPR:
Utah News
2:10 pm
Thu April 18, 2013

Hazmat Crew Snuffs Out Chemical Spill In Provo

Several blocks were closed off around a chemical company in Provo while firefighters and a Hazmat crew responded to a chemical spill.

Neighbors spotted smoke coming through the roof at Wiltec on West Street about 4 p.m. on Wednesday.

Provo Fire Department

Provo Fire Battalion Chief Tom Augustus told the Provo Daily Herald that the company that studies chemical reactions was testing sulfur trioxide when a research tube failed.  He said the failure caused an unexpected chemical reaction that involved a significant amount of smoke.

Firefighters found it wasn't a fire, but still had cause for concern.

Augustus said the smoke was quickly dispersed by the wind, and no one was in danger.  Employees were allowed back in the building within about three hours.

Brianna’s passion for journalism comes from a love of learning and a desire to know everything.  She studies Broadcast Journalism and Political Science at Utah State University and hopes one day to travel the world reporting hard news. She also works as the Aggie Radio news director and a reporter for USU TV.