Archaeologists from BYU are planning to unearth the foundations of a little-known Provo tabernacle building, torn down nearly a century ago.
A team from the university will start digging next week to find the structure's walls and determine how the meetinghouse was built. They hope to complete the project by March. The building was constructed in 1867 and co-existed with the Provo Tabernacle after it was built in the late 1880s. The Older building was demolished in 1919, and all that remains is a monument erected in 1959 by the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers. The excavation is set to finish before the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints begins construction of a new temple at the site of the burned Provo Tabernacle.